Summer time is everyone's favourite time of year, right? Well it's mine! Not only for the warm weather and sunny days but all the evenings with events planned, like outdoor barbecues! Although I'm currently complaining about all the things I have planned because life is so busy right now, I do love it. We just moved back to Victoria this week, very hectic to say the least. We drove the moving truck down on Sunday, unpacked into my parents basement (also known as our storage,) and went straight back to work on the Monday. Luckily it was only a half day at work because I was heading to Vancouver with my sister for the night! It's been so busy with us in Ucluelet and moving back to Victoria that I haven't been able to spend much time with her since she's been visiting.
My sister lives in Thailand, hence our trip at Christmas time. Her and her husband are teachers so they have summers off, which is so nice for us because she comes home for 6 weeks. I have always been so close to my sister and it's very hard when she doesn't live in the same city let alone the same country. We keep in touch via FaceTime and text but it's not the same. On Monday we went to Vancouver to do some errands but mainly eat delicious foods, go shopping and just spend some one on one time together. It was so needed and although we came back exhausted I still felt like it was like a mini vacation. We went to my favourite, Topshop, where I picked up a pair of shorts, a blouse and a light sweater. Can't wait to share them on the blog with you! Then we headed to Urban Outfitters and I found the most perfect summer dress I am absolutely in love with, that you'll be seeing in my next fashion post next week! We had the most delicious ice cream and sushi too, and even fit brunch in before heading back to the island. Next week we're planning a similar day but here in Victoria before she leaves the week after.
While my sister was in Ucluelet I made this delicious chocolate pavlova for a barbecue with our friends in Ucluelet and my sister and husband. It was a major hit and if you need any delicious dessert to make this summer, this should be it!
Recipe: From Nigella Lawson
For the meringue:
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 50 grams of dark chocolate
For the topping:
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 or 2 containers of fresh raspberries
- 3 tbsp dark chocolate (grated)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg whites until they form shiny peaks. Beat in the sugar a spoonful at a time until well blended, the meringue should be stiff and shiny now.
- Sprinkle in the cocoa, chopped chocolate and add in the vinegar. Gently fold in until cocoa is mixed in.
- Mound onto parchment lined baking sheet to approximately 9 inches in diameter. Smooth down the sides and top.
- Place in oven and immediately turn heat down to 300 degrees, bake for 1 hour, may need longer though.
- When it's ready it should look crisp around the edges and dry on the top. Turn off the oven and leave the oven door open slightly. Let the meringue cool completely.
- When you are ready to serve, place on large platter.
- Beat the cream to make a light and airy whipping cream. Pile it on top of the meringue and smooth out.
- To finish scatter the raspberries over top and top with coarsely grated chocolate.
Everyone will be wanting more after they have their first bite! The crispy edges are met with a gooey centre, the perfect pavlova in my opinion!