When it is sunny outside I love using fruits in my baking. It has been gorgeous lately here in Ucluelet and we have been walking every night. This is great prep for the Camino which I will be on in under three weeks now. Even if it is warming up outside I can't stop baking. I love the combination of lemon and blueberry, they balance each other out perfectly. Dave's favourite baked good I make (other than carrot cake) is my lemon poppyseed muffins. These are a sort of twist on them with with a lemon poppyseed glaze, which made the scones even more delicious. I used my mum's 'Favourite Scone' recipe once again and just add my own flavours to it. It is so great to have a base recipe to work with and make it more and more delicious each time you return to it. Scones are great for everything, from breakfast to tea and I love taking them for a snack in my lunches. I seem to be eating more and more these days from all the training I'm doing so having more snacks in my lunch is good, so I don't get hangry at work or when I get home, (getting hangry is something I am very guilty of.)
Recipe fo Scones:
- 1/3 cup buter
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup currants or raisins (optional)-here I used blueberries and lemon zest
- 1-6 tbsp half & half or milk (I use milk every time)
Recipe for Glaze:
- 2 heaping tbsp icing sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp poppyseed
Directions for Scones:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut butter into flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in 1 egg, blueberries, lemon zest and enough milk so dough leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead 10 times.
- Roll out to 1/2 inch thick, cut out with round shape cookie cutter (or the top of a glass, which I did.)
- Place on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, usually 10-12 minutes.
- Cool on metal tray before glazing.
Directions for Glaze:
- While scones are baking mix together glaze until well combined.
- Once the scones are out of the oven and cooled, brush the glaze over each scone.