Smarties are my favourite 'chocolate bar' chocolate. I was never one for Snickers or Mars bars. I have always liked plain Dairy Milk chocolate bars or something similar. However, Smarties will always be my go to. I always want to have them at the movie theatre with me or just because. I also much prefer them over M&M's. I remember when I was a kid my grandfather used to give us a box of Smarties almost every time he saw us. They will always remind me of him and his kind heart. It's so funny how I can associate candy covered chocolate with such wonderful memories of my Poppa. Not only do I love Smarties but I love cookies. So when I was working on my newest recipe to share, I thought why not combine the two. However, instead of a regular cookie with Smarties in it, why not make a giant one? Apparently I am a child at heart so a giant cookie is like a dream come true to a kid. So here it is a giant cookie with Smarties cooked in a cast-iron pan. It was probably one of the easiest desserts I have ever made! Although we just ate it sliced up like a pizza, it would be delicious just out of the oven and warm with scoops of vanilla ice cream on it for a dinner party. You can switch the Smarties out for regular chocolate chips or chocolate chunks. You can even add other delicious things to it like nuts or caramel or raisins, really whatever your heart fancies!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup Smarties
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter cast-iron pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients: flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a standing mixer, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and mix together until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the stand mixer.
- Remove cookie dough and stir in Smarties.
- Pour dough into cast-iron pan. Bake for 20-22 minutes until golden brown.