Any excuse to bake for the holidays, I am there! Last week before heading back to visit family for Easter I made these Easter themed cupcakes. I was still doing lent then so I didn't have any but they were so much fun to make that it was definitely worth it. Dave bought me a case of different piping tips to practice my icing skills and after making these cakes with "grass" on top I realized how excited I am to test the rest of the tips out! Next is buttercream roses and then a practice wedding cake for a friend. More on that soon! Below is the recipe I used for the cupcakes (not my own) and my favourite buttercream recipe (my own.) Hope you feel inspired to make something both beautiful and delicious soon!
Recipe for Carrot Cupcakes: (Half Baked Harvest)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup grated carrots
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 12-18 muffin tins.
- In large bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In another large bowl with mixer, beat together, oil, buttermilk, eggs, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Then add carrots.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet mixture and beat.
- Pour the batter into the lined muffin tins.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Let cool.
Recipe for Buttercream Icing:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- food colouring if you want (I used you a pastel moss green)
- Beat together softened butter and icing sugar. Add milk and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Remove from bowl and place in piping bag.
- To make "grass" I used t a star tipped piping tip. Every time you squeeze the icing out, be sure to pull up to create the height and style of grass.
- Once all the cupcakes are iced. Grate dark chocolate to make shavings.
- Sprinkle shavings in circles on top of the "grass" icing. Place 3 mini eggs on top of each "nest."
Bring to Easter dinner or for treats to friends!