I don't know about you but somehow my freezer is always filled with bananas. I'm pretty picky when it comes to bananas and I hate it when they get spots on them, I find they get too sweet. So I chuck them in the freezer and forget about them, until we do a clean out and realize there is a massive, overflowing bag in there. That's why this recipe is so great, it uses 6 bananas! It's a healthier version of a banana loaf I usually make (with chocolate.) This one has bran and raisins in it and just a bit of orange juice that brings out the flavour of the bananas. Perfect for a snack or breakfast!
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups bran (I used 3/4 cup oat bran instead)
- 3 cups mashed bananas (roughly 6 bananas)
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 3 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs and beat until light.
- Stir in bran.
- Mix bananas with orange juice.
- Add dry ingredients alternating with banana mixture, beating after each addition.
- Stir in raisins.
- Pour into greased and floured loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes.
This recipe makes 2 loaves. However, I decided to make one loaf and a dozen muffins. If you choose to do this, the muffins take about 20 minutes in the oven while the loaf takes 50 minutes.