This is one of my favourite recipes that my mum makes. She is probably the best scone maker I know and no matter what I do, mine never turn out as good. However, these are a pretty quick and easy recipe and usually come out pretty close to hers. I made them a few weeks back for snacks or a quick breakfast on the go. I think glazing them gives them that extra boost, but so would baking them with white chocolate chips. I opted for a healthier version because I am still not eating chocolate, only 5 more days, not that I'm counting or anything! I can't wait for Easter, not only for the chocolate but also to make some fun delicious Easter/Spring themed baked goods. Stay tuned!
- 4 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- Just under 3/4 lb butter (diced)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup craisins
- Preheat oven to 370 degrees.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and orange zest.
- Cut in butter and work until pea sized crumbs.
- Combine eggs and milk.
- Mix into flour mixture.
- Sprinkle in cranberries.
- Knead into a ball. Pat until 3/4" thick.
- Cut into scone sized pieces (I went for triangles but you could do circles.)
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with 1 beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar (I chose to glaze them after they baked though.)
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
- If you choose to glaze them, let cool then glaze with orange juice and icing sugar mixed together and brush over scones.
Enjoy with coffee or for breakfast on the run!