I have never made pastry before. I have been baking since I was a little kid but still have never bit the bullet to make my own pie crust. The other weekend Dave and I decided we had to try it and were pleasantly surprised at how easy it was in the end. We decided for dinner we would make a vegetarian pie, something warm and comforting on a cool and wet evening. It was almost perfect. The pie crust at the bottom wasn't as crispy as we would have hoped but we learned our lesson and now know where to go from there. The rest of it was delicious though and we had it for leftovers for a few days after. If you are looking for a little dinner inspiration this week, try it out and you won't be disappointed. You can change the filling out with whatever you like too!
Recipe: (Double Crust Pastry)
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2/3 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 5 tbsp water
- 1 egg
- Sift flour into large bowl.
- Chop up shortening into small pieces. Add to flour and rub in with hands until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in salt then add water and mix until it becomes a firm dough.
- Knead the dough briefly on flour surface.
- Wrap in cling film and chill for 30ish minutes while making the filling.
Recipe for filling:
- 1/2 butternut squash roasted
- goat cheese
- 1/2 white onion roasted
- bag of spinach
- salt & pepper to taste, or add curry flavours like we did
- Roast butternut squash and onions in oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until cooked. We sprinkled curry seasoning on it to give it some extra flavour.
- Let the butternut squash cool a bit before adding it to the pie.
- Steam spinach and ring out any excess water.
- Crumble 1/4-1/2 goat cheese log.
- Mix all the filling together, then add to pie.
- We egg washed the bottom of the pie and baked it at 450 degrees for a few minutes to let it cook before adding the filling. (Next time we will add some weight to it like dried lentils to let it blind bake before filling it because it was not as crunchy as we would have liked.)
- We added the filling, then covered it.
- Final step before baking was egg washing the top to give it a nice browned look.
- Bake for 8 minutes at 450 degrees, then turn oven down to 350 degrees and bake for another 10 minutes or until it looks cooked.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before eating.