I've been into making pizza lately (Italian roots) and after trying out this recipe I think it will be my go to pizza dough and toppings from now on. Dave and I made one pizza but split the toppings in half: 1) cherry tomato, oregano, feta, kale and 2) pear, red onion, balsamic reduction, blue cheese.
- 2/3 cup lukewarm (not hot) water
- 1 tsp active dry (traditional) yeast
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups flour
In a bowl combine and mix water, yeast and sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes. Mix in olive oil. Add flour until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the bowl. If it is too sticky mix in more of the flour. Mix and knead the dough for about 5 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl with olive oil and place the dough inside and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise at room temperature for 60 to 75 minutes. Next line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly oil. Lightly coat your fingers in oil and gently press and stretch the dough. Top the dough with whatever toppings of your choice.
Cherry Tomatoes and Feta Toppings:
- Chop as many cherry tomatoes as you like and either roast in oven or fry in pan with olive oil and garlic
- Fresh oregano (or dried if you don't have any)
Pear, Red Onion and Blue Cheese
- Pear sliced thinly
- Red onions chopped up quite small and then fried in frying pan with olive oil
- Blue Cheese
- Balsamic Reduction (I used Nonna Pia's)